Friday, October 29, 2021

The GRHub Network is being automated to give the owner of the network more freedom and flexability.


 Automation is not always  a good thing but in this instance it saves time and gives the owner of the GRHub Network more freedom and flexibility.  Several tasks or functions can be automated and I will only discuss those that I already implemented iro the nodes that I am currently running.

Before I continue I would like to make it clear that the GRHub Network is NOT an unmanned device as stated in the post:  

Setting the record straight iro the GRHub Network! Rant??

Now lets continue.  The following functions are currently automated:

  • Connection to three Echolink servers from AllStar Node 49355 and control of all Echolink Stations via this AllStar node
  • Connection to a local Weather Station in Mossel Bay. AllStar Node 49355 obtain WX data and transmit weather conditions every hour to all nodes and the RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex.
  • Connection to a local Time Server.  AllStar Node 49355 obtain the local time and transmit the time every hour to all nodes and the RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex.
  • The SARL News Bulletins, Pretoria Amateur Radio Club News Bulletin and Amateur Radio Today are automatically relayed to  Echolink ZS1I-L,  Allstar Nodes 49355 + 46765  and RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex every Sunday.
  • The Bo Karoo Amateur Radio Klub Bulletin is automatically relayed to  Echolink ZS1I-L,  Allstar Nodes 49355 + 46765  and RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex every Sunday afternoon.
  • PEARS ("PE Mobile Net") daily relayed from 06h30 - 07h45 (except on Sunday) on Echolink ZS1I-L,  Allstar Nodes 49355 + 46765  and RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex.
  • Pretoria ("Legends") Morning Net. Transmission: Daily relayed from 07:45 - 09:00 except on Sunday on Echolink ZS1I-L,  Allstar Nodes 49355 + 46765  and RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex.
  • Auto play the weekly ARRL Audio News Bulletin every Tuesday at 20h00 on Echolink ZS1I-L,  Allstar Nodes 49355 + 46765  and RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex.
  • Auto play the weekly Amateur Radio Audio News Bulletin every Wednesday at 20h00 on Echolink ZS1I-L,  Allstar Nodes 49355 + 46765  and RF Link on 145.550 Mhz Simplex.

Please take note of the following:

The GRHub Network will connect automatically to some of the above nodes 15 minutes before the start of the Net or Bulletin.  This does not mean that there is no supervision of the GRHub Network. I get an audio alert every time the network connects to another node or network. In the event that something goes wrong or there is other activity on the guest nodes, I will disconnect the GRHub Network immediately.  I monitor all activity on the GRHub Network at all times.  There might also be times that the mode of operation is in Receive/Monitor Mode Only. 

I will continue to automate the GRHub Network in future if I think it could enhance the capabilities of the network and only if it is to the benefit of listeners and users.

Finally:  I want to thank all the repeater, link, network owners/keepers/administrators/clubs etc. for allowing me to use their facilities and installations.  Highly appreciated.  I again say it is not about me, my image or pride, I do it for amateur radio and as a service to my fellow radio amateurs.  Enjoy!!

Mark ZS4OIL donate radio to be used on the ZS Link Hub Network in Mossel Bay!

Now here is a story of  real amateur radio spirit and no Mark ZS4OIL does not know that I am writing an article about his kindness.  In toda...