Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Digital Radio - Do not be influenced by others!!


I write this topic to encourage others to "play" with Digital Radio.  A few months ago I overheard a conversation on an analog repeater where the topic of digital radio was discussed.  95% of participants taking part in the discussion indicated that they are not going to get into digital radio as it is too complicated, has bad audio quality, poor coverage and many other problems (not mentioned) during the discussion.  Those opposed to digital radio prefer analog radio at 25 khz spacing.  Some even called digital radio,  "Micky Mouse Radio".  Well you entitled to your own opinion. Before you make a decision read on.  

NO it is not complicated!!  If I can setup a Hot-spot and program my own code-plug for the TYT MD380, then you can do it.  Agree that the audio is not always "clear" but remember it is digital.  I listen to many repeaters countrywide and some analog audio is so bad that it is difficult to have a conversation.  Not to talk about the hum, "motor boating", soft audio, "flag flying" etc. etc.  I would rather listen and use digital radio than to listen to bad analog audio.  No I still operate analog radio but then I ensure that my audio is good and that I know the limitations of my radio and the repeater I use.  I also do a  Echotest (Parrot) to ensure my audio is clean and audible.  Poor coverage - now I do not know in what context this was used so I leave that to the imagination.  Many other problems - Once again I cannot comment. 

As in all aspects of amateur radio you get a difference of opinion; you get  the good and the bad; you get radios and modes that out perform others and you get the old and the new technology etc.  Traditionally, analog amateur radios provided reliable communication but digital radio changed the playing field in a big way.  If I look at the activity by radio amateurs on digital radio then this tells me that digital radio is here to stay.  So do not listen to those that down run digital radio.  Decide for yourself whether digital radio is for you.  Get your feet wet and play radio and make your own  conclusions.  DO NOT LET OTHERS INFLUENCE YOU TO NOT EXPLORE NEW TECHNOLOGY AKA DIGITAL RADIO!!

With all this out of the way lets continue. 

I took one look at the Programming Software and decided it is not hard to understand. The Software allows the programming of a "Code Plug", which is essentially the "personality" of the radio. The radio can only transmit and receive on the channels programmed into the code plug.  Google is your friend here if there is no radio amateur (Elmer) in your area that can assist you with programming the code plug and setting up the hot-spot. 

I must admit it took me a few hours to get going on digital radio but the effort was worth the while.  I managed to write my own starter codeplug and setting up the hot-spot for low BER (Bit Error Rate).  Once the hot-spot and radio talked to each other I decided to make my first test contact via Echotest (Parrot).  The Parrot came back to me and the audio sound fine.  Next was to make a real first contact on DMR.  I decided to first try a local contact on  a digital channel. What better talkgroup than South Africa Nationwide  (655 RSA - Contact Name.  Call Type - Group Call.  Call ID - 655)  My first call resulted in Brad ZS5BG returning my call.  We had a short conversation as Brad was also testing a radio.  I was happy to know that my hot-spot and radio was working as it should.  The BER was low and in the the green.

I admit I still have a lot to learn but isn't that what amateur radio is all about.  Learning, experimenting, testing and exploring.  This I can tell you.  You will have to read, read and read as this is the way you learn if you are alone in an area where there is no digital amateur radio activity.  I am glad that I decided to to join the digital radio fraternity.   I am sure just getting a hot-spot and radio setup will not be my last activity relating to digital radio.

Finally:  It there are any local radio amateurs in the Garden Route Area that would like to wet their feet in digital radio, give me a call on 145.550Mhz and together we can learn and broaden our knowledge of amateur digital radio.  Hopefully we can introduce more radio amateurs to digital radio in this area.






What's in the Box?

Here is another "What's in the Box?" Contents:     1.  Raspberry Pi 5 Power Supply 2.  HDMI Cable or Raspberry Pi 5 3.  Raspbe...