Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Load-shedding in South Africa calls for a Simple Inverter Power Supply in the Shack

 

This project started in October 2021 and was finished today the 14 February 2021.  Like they say "Rome was not build in one day."  I am really ashamed that a simple project like this took me nearly 4 1//2 months to complete.  Be as at may when another round of  load-shedding was implemented on the 28 October 2021 I decided to scratch around in all the crates that I store parts and equipment.  I found all the items shown in the images in some of the crates. The wooden box was build for portable operation about 5 years ago and at the time was filled with aluminum plates and pieces of metal.  I looked at all the parts and decided to build a simple Solar Power Supply. (Generator)  It did not materialized as a new Solar Power Supply V3 was on the work bench.  So I decided to only build a Inverter Power Supply with 220v and 12v outlets.  Here is the specs:

  • Inverter 12v DC to 220 v AC 300 Watts  Modified Sine Wave
  • 12v 100 Ah Lead Acid Battery
  • 1 x 220v AC Plug Socket (Metal)
  • 1 x 12v Binding Posts
  • 1 x 12v Cigarette Lighter Socket 
  • 1 x 12v Battery Charger Input Terminal

The aim was:

  •  To use what I had available
  •  The construction of the unit had to be simple
  •  It must be safe to operate and use in the house or shack
  •  To spend no extra money to construct the unit
  •  Not to currently go the Solar route but can easily be converted to a Solar Power    Supply/Generator
  •  To make it lightweight and portable  (This in itself is a challenge if you use a lead acid battery but  this is what I had on hand
  •  To use the unit for low wattage electrical appliances and equipment
  •  Simplicity
  •  Stone chip the ugly wooden box (Well it did not turn out the way I wanted it, but I do not want to spend further money on the project.)
  •  To make the unit functional

I cannot claim that the unit did not cost me anything, but all the items were bought several years ago when load shedding just started.  Looking at the prices of equipment today it was a wise decision to purchase the items way back then.

I am currently using the unit as a back-up for the GRHub Network's 2m Radios, Fan Controllers and a desktop LED light.  During the recent load shedding, the unit performed as it should and I can run the equipment for more than 24 hours depending on the traffic on the GRHub Network.

Why post about this project?  Well this shows that you really do not need bags of money to run a Inverter Power Supply in your Shack during loadshedding.  The unit is simple to construct and it works flawlessly.  I also connected my desktop computer to the unit and it runs perfectly.

Finally:  A word of warning!!  Please do not build a Solar Power Supply or Inverter Power Supply if you do not have experience in working with electricity.  Electricity can kill and fires is common if safety precautions and regulations are not adhere to.  Your insurance company will not pay a claim should your house burn down as a result of bad workmanship.  Ensure that your unit has all the safety equipment installed should things go south.  Safety measures ensure that no fires occur due to equipment failure or short circuits.  You have been warned!!

Images of the construction of the unit:












Mark ZS4OIL donate radio to be used on the ZS Link Hub Network in Mossel Bay!

Now here is a story of  real amateur radio spirit and no Mark ZS4OIL does not know that I am writing an article about his kindness.  In toda...