Saturday, March 12, 2022

Foolproof Power Backup Controller Project for your Radio, Radio Link or Repeater (Part 3)


Video:  I apologize for the quality of the video and the dust on the power supply and crates.  The power supply and crates are housed in a storeroom and there was not time to clean everything just for this video.  I am no YouTube or professional video maker. 

Part 1 of this article available HERE

Part 2 of this article available HERE

During a recent spate of loadshedding my commercial Power Backup Controller decided that it had enough and it would switch off unexpectedly at times resulting that all the equipment connected to it would just die.  Now those who use Raspberry Pi's know that they do not like to be "killed" instantly as this could result in SD Card corruption.  This I can ill afford as it takes time and patience to setup the GRHub Network to perform optimal again.  I do have a backup of the current card but would rather like to prevent corruption of the SD Card if at all possible.

Thankfully I constructed my own Foolproof Power Backup Controller.  It only needed to be installed.  I undertook this task yesterday.  The unit is now connected and was tested before (video) and during the last loadshedding period we had late yesterday afternoon.  Thus far it is working perfectly.  Here is a few images and a video of the unit in operation.   I am still monitoring the unit to ensure that there are now flaws that could cause problems.

I would like to recommend this project for other radio amateurs that might also need a backup power controller for their radio's, radio link or repeater.






Mark ZS4OIL donate radio to be used on the ZS Link Hub Network in Mossel Bay!

Now here is a story of  real amateur radio spirit and no Mark ZS4OIL does not know that I am writing an article about his kindness.  In toda...